Continuous Quality in Education (CQE)
Continuous Quality in Education (CQE) is the organizational philosophy of the Contra Costa County Office of Education that guides us in providing quality educational services.
CQE is based on the concepts of Total Quality Management (TQM) developed by W. Edwards Deming. Dr. Deming developed the TQM concepts during his work in Japan in the 1950s. TQM is sometimes referred to as the Japanese Style of Management.
In 1991, CCCOE was invited by Chevron to join them in being trained in TQM. CQE is the CCCOE's adaptation of TQM concepts and practices to an educational organization.
Some of the CQE practices are:
- Focus on and listen to customers to assess their needs and ensure their satisfaction.
- Work with fellow employees to solve problems and improve our services.
- Use measurements to assess the value of work processes.
- Work as a team to accomplish tasks.
Definition of Quality for CCCOE
Quality is a product of service that meets or exceeds customer demands.
Quality is defined by the customer
Quality means anticipating the needs of the customer, translating those needs into a useful product of service, and creating a system that can produce the product or service at the lowest possible price, so that it represents good value to the customer.
Five Core Concepts
CQE is a way of involving every department, every program, and every employee of the CCCOE in achieving the vision of the County Office of Education.
The Five Core Concepts are what make CQE different from traditional practices.
Every service or product has to meet or exceed customer expectations.
All work is part of a process, which generates a service or product.
Quality requires the continuous improvement of services and product.
Meeting customer expectations requires everyone's involvement.
Generating quality services and products, which meet or exceed customer expectations, requires the use of data for decision making.
The Contra Costa County Office of Education
has expressed its commitment to quality in a vision statement, values,
and focus areas.
printable version of
the Strategic Plan (PDF; 119K, 1pg.)
CCCOE Strategic Plan 2011-2014
Education empowers tomorrow's global citizens.
Our mission is to be the premier county education
agency providing bold leadership, high quality
programs, and innovative services.
Advocacy for all learners
- Provide services and products that support learning and accountability.
- Take the lead in creating and sustaining partnerships and collaborations that strengthen
opportunities for learners.
- Challenge the status quo by promoting an
environment that values creativity, encourages
risk taking, and supports innovation.
- Recruit, support, and retain outstanding people for careers in education that reflect our diverse
- Provide local and regional high-quality professional development to meet student,
district, and staff needs.
- Incorporate technology to enhance learning and
- Use two-way communication to evaluate
services and inform data-driven decisions.
- Advocate for all learners by promoting the
successes and explaining the challenges of public