The JavaScript support is disabled on your browser. JavaScript is required to view this page correctly.
Please enable JavaScript and refresh this page.

Main Content

About Us

Main Content

Facts - Then & Now, 1852-2002


150 Years of Service

Facts Then & Now

County Population
County Seat Population
Public Schools
Public School Pupils
Graduates Countywide
Teacher Salaries
(housing included)
Largest School District
(# of Teachers)
2 Teachers
Mt. Diablo
1,804 Teachers
Average cost to build high school

$15 million +

Cost of school maintenance/per student cost
(entire school per month)
(each student per year)

return to top of page

Our site namesakes

Lucille MauzyThe Lucille Glass Mauzy School in Alamo, serves developmentally disabled students ages 3 to 22, offering numerous classes focused on integrating the student into school campuses and the community.

The facility, formerly known as the Valley School, was expanded and renamed for Lucille Mauzy in February 1984. Mrs. Mauzy was a prominent member of the Contra Costa County Board of Education from 1956 to 1979. She was a strong advocate for special education and worked tirelessly to bring more special education programs to the county.

Floyd MarchusThe Marchus School was dedicated on May 17, 1985 in honor of former Superintendent of Schools Floyd I. Marchus, who served from 1958-1979. The facility, which was initially called the Hillcrest Special Center, provides counseling and special education services to K-Adult students identified with significant emotional and/or behavioral needs.

Floyd Marchus had a long career with the County Office of Education, serving as Superintendent for 21 years and as director of research for ten years prior. He was also a former executive officer of the County Board of Education.

Orin AllenThe Contra Costa County Boys Ranch opened in 1960, with 20 Boys, two teachers and a small staff of counselors. Throughout the years, with the addition of several classrooms and dormitories, capacity has increased to 100 boys.

In 1994, the name was changed to the Orin Allen Youth Rehabilitation Facility in honor of Orin Allen, one of the ranch’s original counselors. A long-time advocate for the county’s at-risk youth, Mr. Allen rose through the rank of the Probation Department to become the ranch’s fourth Superintendent.

Ronald StewartThe Contra Costa County Office of Education building (now the Stewart Center) opened in May 1987. For the first time, all departments were housed under one roof, helping to unify the agency and streamline communication.

The building was dedicated to former Superintendent of Schools Dr. Ronald L. Stewart, upon his retirement in August 1996. Dr. Stewart’s career in education spanned more than 40 years. He began teaching in 1956, was superintendent of Liberty Union High School District for five years and served for 14 years as County Superintendent of Schools.


Back to history page

Page updated on: December 20, 2017

Rev: 0.4-010514-BETA4