The JavaScript support is disabled on your browser. JavaScript is required to view this page correctly.
Please enable JavaScript and refresh this page.

Main Content

Human Resources

Main Content

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)

General Hiring Questions

Q. Does CCCOE facilitate the hiring process for all school districts in Contra Costa County?

A. Each school district in Contra Costa County has its own hiring process and procedure. The Contra Costa County Office of Education is not involved in the hiring process and procedures for the districts.

District hiring contacts

Q. Do all the school districts pay the same?

A. The pay rates for employees varies from district to district. You must call the school district office to discuss their current rate of pay.

Q. Where are job postings located?

A. Job postings may be located in the Human Resources lobby of the CCCOE and are also available online. You may also call the Human Resources Department directly at 925.942.3387 to inquire about openings.

Q. What is the difference between Certificated and Classified Employees?

A. Certificated employees are required to have a Credential from the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing. Classified Employees are not required to have a teaching credential.

  • Certificated employees belong to the California Teachers Association (CTA) and include, teachers, speech therapists, school psychologists, nurses, and similar classifications.

  • Classified employees belong to the Local 1 Union and include clerical staff, instructional assistants, custodians, accounting personnel and similar classifications.

  • We also have management, confidential and professional administrative employees. Some of these positions are Certificated and some are Classified. These employees do not belong to a union. They include Principals, Managers, Directors, Coordinators, Specialists, etc.

New Employees/Benefits Questions

Q. How long is the probationary period for new employees?

A. The probationary period for classified staff is six months, and fully credentialed, certificated staff have a probationary period of two years.

Q. What benefits does CCCOE offer? What is the medical cap?

A. Benefits, include health, dental, vacation, and sick leave. Employer conributions vary between bargaining units. Please see our Benefits page for more information.

Q: What is your certificated salary schedule and how many years of service do you give credit for?

A: Please see our certificated salary schedule. We give up to 12 years credit for service in a certificated position. Credit for education is as specified in the column headers of the salary schedule. Addition compensation is given for a Masters and/or a Doctorate as indicated on the Salary Schedule.

Q. What retirement system is in effect for the Office of Education and other certificated staff?

A. State Teachers' Retirement System (STRS) is available to teachers and Public Employees Retirement System (PERS) is available to classified staff. Please see our Benefits page for contribution amounts.

Substitute Teacher Questions

Q. How do I get my name onto a Substitute Teacher’s List?

A. Each district in Contra Costa County has its own Substitute List. The requirements and procedures will vary. You will need to contact them individually to apply.

Contra Costa County School Districts

Q. How much does a substitute teacher make?

A. The pay rate for substitute teachers in Contra Costa County varies from district to district. You must call the school district office to discuss their current rate of pay.

CCCOE pays $120 per day to start, with an increase to $130 when you have completed 29 assignments. Substitute teachers who choose to work for CCCOE will be assigned to Special Education classes, Court or Community Schools or Career Education (ROP) classes. Retired teachers receive $140 per day.

Q. I don’t have a teaching credential, but I want to do some substitute teaching. What do I need to do?

A. You need to apply for a credential or permit through the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC). The commission will mail you all the necessary forms along with instructions detailing the required documentation you must gather in order to apply for your credential or permit. At the very least, you will need to have your original transcripts from the college or university you attended where you received a Bachelors Degree or higher; and an original CBEST card which was issued to you after you passed the CBEST. At this point you can apply for positions with the school districts. They can help you with the forms and fingerprinting requirements.

Questions may also be directed to our credentials department.

Credentials Questions

Q. How long does it take to get my Emergency 30-day Permit?

A. After the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC) receives your application, it takes approximately 1-4 months to receive your credential or permit in the mail.
Your district will process a “Temporary County Certificate” (TCC) while you are waiting for the credential or permit to be issued. The TCC allows you to begin substitute teaching as soon as the district has received fingerprint clearance from the Department of Justice. The TCC is valid for one year.

Q. I have a credential issued from another state (other than California) what do I need to do?

A. Most out of state credentials qualify an applicant under AB 877 to receive a California Preliminary Credential. For further information on what is required for this process, you may contact our office or the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC).

Q. I have a credential or permit that is about to expire. What do I do?

A. If your credential or permit is about to expire, you will need to fill out a “renewal & reissuance” form. Our Credentials Unit has the form and will mail it to you if you are unable to come by the office to pick one up. Your credential will list any renewal requirements from CCTC.

If your credential has been expired for many years, it is advisable for you to call the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing to discuss the possible requirements of continuing education or other requirements before you can successfully renew your credential.

Q. I’m enrolled in a credentialing program to get my single-subject credential, but I’m not finished yet. Can I get hired by a district?

A. It is possible to be hired by a district prior to obtaining a single-subject credential. The applicant would be required to obtain a Pre-Intern/Intern Certificate or an Emergency Long-Term permit. These are acquired through the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing. The applicant and the employer must both meet the general and specific requirements as stated by the commission. To obtain a list of specific requirements you may contact the Credentials Unit at the Contra Costa County Office of Education or the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC)

Fingerprinting Questions

Q: Does the County Office of Education offer the US Constitution exam?

A: Yes, more information can be found on the Credentials page or by calling 925.942.3384.

Q. How do I make an appointment to be Livescanned (fingerprinted)?

A. Livescan services are open to the public on an appointment-only basis. You will need a “Request for Livescan” form from the agency that is requiring you to be fingerprinted. If you have that form, call 925.942.5312 for an appointment. There may be fees involved, be sure to ask.

Q. How long does it take to get fingerprint clearance?

A. Fingerprint clearance varies. Approximate time frame is one to two weeks. However, it can take as long as several months to clear.

Q. I’ve been fingerprinted before; do I still need to do it again?

A. It is against the law for different agencies to share confidential fingerprint results with each other. Therefore, you must be “Livescanned” (fingerprinted) any time you change employers when you work in the public school system.

return to top of page

Page updated on: December 20, 2017

Rev: 0.4-010514-BETA4